Sunday, October 17, 2010

Rainy Day Crockpot Mix-up

Our 'Bountiful Baskets' basket from 10-16-10


It's been a wonderful lazy, rainy Sunday, filled with church and family time. Yep that's right, it's raining in Vegas! And not just a little, eventhough it's coming in spurts. There's lightening, thunder, dark cloudy skies, and raaaain! It's also very chilly. I think it may be the coolest day we've had since before summer. What a great day to make veggie soup!

I had to wing it, because really I didn't have all the stuff for the veggie soup recipe that I have. With so many healthy delicious veggies in our basket this week, I just threw what I had into the crockpot and hoped for the best. I kinda think anyone can make a soupy mixture with any veggies and it'll come out as.... well, veggie soup!

I used:
2 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
1/2 a cucumber, halved and sliced
3 carrots, sliced thin
a bunch of green onion, chopped
6 russet potatoes w/skin, cut into chunks

For the soupy/broth concoction:
7 cups water
oregano, garlic powder, dash of sea salt, black pepper
And I used 2 cubes of a boullion that is so good, and vegan!



I put it all in the crockpot for 4 hours on HIGH.
If you desire to simmer on LOW, give yourself around 5-6 hours.

And this is what we got!
(we served it with grilled cheese)

My 5 year liked it!! Enough said! He hardly likes veggies at all, and complains about most meals we make. My main concern was the flavor. That it would end up tasting like vegetables boiled in water. That just isn't yummy.Well, he instantly made those fears go away with his first comments on how the "soup" part was soooooooo good!

This was a blessed Sunday ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment